What we did:
- Sailing Camp – Shennecossett Yacht Club Sailing School – Cost was $130 – Hours were 9-2 Mon-Thur. CAMP WAS EXCELLENT! Bill and his staff did a great job! Not only was the camp affordable, but my 10 year old loved it! If you think you want to do this, then check their website as each week is a different level. Highly recommend.https://www.syc-ct.com/yachting/sailing-school/
- Mystic Luxury Cinnemas has $2 movies on Wednesday during their Family Summer Film Series. The theater has lounge seats, is clean and convenient. Highly recommend. As a side note, the first daily show all seats are $6 to any of the movies. https://www.mysticluxurycinemas.com/
- Ray of Light Farm has $15 pony rides on Thursday through Saturday 11-2PM. As this farm is a rescue farm, we saw plenty of farm animals, llamas, miniature ponies and more. It was an enjoyable ride to the farm and had we had more time I would have combined the trip with the Hadlym ferry across the Connecticut River and a visit to Gillette Caste. My 5 year old loved the pony ride which was in an indoor arena and lasted just long enough. Highly recommend this if you have any little one that loves ponies. https://www.rayoflightfarm.org/
What we thought about doing but didn’t as we were having too much fun at the beach:
- Project Oceanology – for when you want to get out on the water – Trips Run Sunday 12-2:30 and Tuesday1-3:30 ($35A/$25C) https://www.oceanology.org/cruises
- Scotts Yankee Farmer – pick your own fruit-- http://www.scottsyankeefarmer.net/
- Whale Watching – Family Special on Tuesdays and Friday at 1:30. http://francesfleet.com/whales.html This is out of Point Judith and their best whale watch deal is the Family Special on Tuesday and Friday.
- Ocean Beach in New London has a lot going on during the summer. On Monday, the rides are half price after 4PM and parking is free. Wednesday has a Magic Show at 7pm https://ocean-beach-park.com/
- Waterford Speedbowl has a Wednesday special called Wacky Wednesday for families. For anybody that has an interest in racing, this might make for a fun family event. https://www.speedbowlct.com/schedule/wild-and-wacky-wednesday-schedule/
- Mystic River Park has free concerts every Tuesday at 7pm
- Mystic Seaport has family sailing for $15 a boat on Wednesday. This is a great deal as it includes the boat rental and life jackets for everyone. https://www.mysticseaport.org/learn/sailing/community-sailing/
Head across the Border to Rhode Island for the unique and different kid friendly activities
- Check out the vehicles at Classic Car Cruise Nights in Misquamicut on Tuesday starting at 5:30PM https://westerlylife.com/free-classic-car-cruise-nights-at-the-beach/.
- Misquamicutt Drive In is $15 a car Thursday-Saturday at 9PM which can be a fun evening event.
- The Rhode Island Balloonfest on the URI grounds was something I wanted to go to but the weather just did not want to cooperate. This is definitely on my bucket list for next year.
- Frost Observatory is the place to be to learn about the night sky. On Friday and Saturday nights at 7PM, guests can look through telescopes and ask questions of our local astronomers. https://frostydrew.org/observatory/
Another option is the local library this summer. Libraries are a great source for FREE kids entertainment. Not only are the programs short but they rank high on my “easy peezy” scale. Our area has 4 libraries within a short ride – the Mystic/Noank Library; the Stonington Free Library; Westerly Library; and Groton Library. A quick look at their websites and I discovered many activities including meeting live animals such as the Animals! Animals! (Ages 4-12) event at the Westerly Library. Traveling south I found a costumed performance at the Waterford Library of Meet the Gillettes where performers answered the question of who were the Gillettes and what were their connection to Sherlock Holmes. Again, had my children been older, I would have paired this event with a trip across the Connecticut Ferry on the Hadlyme Ferry (the oldest operating ferry since 1684 in Connecticut) and a tour of Gillette Castle ending with a picnic lunch on the surrounding grounds of the beautiful Gillette Castle State Park.
I hope you and your family have a wonderful summer. As you know every summer has its own story -- I hope yours is a good one this year!